Leadership is the ability of an individual to guide another or groups of people towards achieving a certain set target. The society looks for a leader to act as a center of concentration of their power and install their trust in him or her to make decisions for them.
In business, on the other hand, a leader is someone who is able to successfully take over and move an entity forward, invent, supervise and solve any arising problems that face it. In any leadership position, one needs his or her leadership skill developed to measure up the leadership standards in the changing leadership world.
Coaching has been a favorable leadership style nowadays, preferred over managing. This is because many styles used before, like centralization or by chain method, have become obsolete. This is due to the development of leadership skills in different leadership circles.
Therefore, one needs to look around and see how to re-design the work cycle or flow process for efficient management. Several methods have been known to promote leadership skill development.
Promote Self Esteem: Promoting self esteem in an individual is making that person feel important and making that person willing to work more with the leader. Several techniques have been proven to help in leadership skill development for this case.
· Take an interest in the person: This is by talking and showing great concern in matters concerning their direct and indirect interest and keeping one informed. In addition, it is important to respect people’s knowledge by recounting positive remarks on them.
· Listening: When a person is trying to say something, it is important to give out time to what they are saying. This makes the person feel more confident and trust the listener.
· Encourage discussion: Discussion, rather than heated arguments, should be encouraged by discussing openly and in harmony. It helps avoid thought of “the wrong and the right” thereby, not hurting any one’s esteem.
· Remember the name: A name is the most important factor to one’s personality. By addressing one using his/her name, you show that the person is important to you.
Be a Good Listener: To be a good listener means one is able to take in the information and retrieve it when need be without any alteration or forgetting. Here are some guidelines to enhancing this skill;
· Be ready to listen: Stay alert in your posture and in your facial expression.
· Avoid any distractions.
· Avoid any prior bias that may hinder one from understanding what they are being told.
Planning: A plan makes it easier for one to project their performance or output, hence, helps one handle a large group of people and run several errands concurrently. To make plans that achieve more efficient results, the following techniques could be helpful;
· Reviewing past plans and their outcomes
· Involving others: By analyzing the positive and negative side of a variety of options before coming up with a final decision.
These can be short-term or long-term. This is the most important managing tool. Through it, one is able to set targets and goals to achieve within a specified time period. It also can enhance leadership skill development.